A Typical Day At Van Gogh
- Our playgrounds open at 8:30am and are managed by a staff member from 8.45am. The staff welcome children into school from 8.45am - the children make their own way to their classes, get organised and register their attendance. Learning starts by 9am.
- The children will begin the day with either discrete phonics teaching following 'Read, Write, Inc.' (Reception, Year 1) and/or Guided Reading (Year 2 – 6). English lessons follow immediately after this from 9.30am until 10.30.
- Children have a break-time from 10.30am until 10.45am. We have a range of activities including both structured and non-structured play activities for the children to select from.
- Maths lessons run from 10.45am until 11.45am. There is a 30 minute session for individual classes to use before lunch. This time may be used to review home learning, visit the library or a short lesson from the wider curriculum.
- The afternoon is busy and action packed. Most classes will have time to explore the wider curriculum each afternoon – including science, ICT in one of ICT suites, swimming, music taught by our music specialists.
- Most classes have a short afternoon break to help the children remain focused on learning.
- Our Nursery and Reception Class children finish their day at 3:20pm and the children in Years 1 to 6 finish at 3:30pm.
- The school day can be extended in many ways. Van Gogh Primary runs a variety of one hour afterschool clubs and activities as well as Afterschool Provision which runs until 6pm. Clubs and Afterschool Provision are run at an additional cost.